Want a little southern home cooking without all the guilt?
If so, you should get yourself an air fryer.
Air fryers use the power of convection heat (combined with a small amount of oil) to make your favorite fried foods golden brown and crunchy. And they do it just as fast, if not faster, than traditional frying methods.
Might sound too good to be true. Or maybe you're thinking, "I bet a device like that costs hundreds of dollars!"
But it is true, and air fryers are actually quite affordable—you can find a nice stainless steel one online for between $40 and $80.
And once you have that, you can try this low-carb air fryer fried chicken drumsticks recipe. This simple recipe might change how you make fried chicken forever.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe:
- Chicken drumsticks
- Almond flour
- Cassava flour
Top 3 Health Benefits Of This Recipe:
Here are three health benefits you'll gain from these air fryer fried chicken drumsticks:
- Each serving has over 50 grams of protein: Chicken is considered a "complete" protein, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids your body needs to rebuild muscle and keep your organs healthy [*]. These drumsticks are actually lean compared to most fried chicken recipes, considering they have only two-thirds the fat content. With a whopping 54 grams of protein per serving, they're perfect for dinner or to help boost recovery after a tough workout.
- Almond flour is full of healthy nutrients: The dry portion of the breading for these air fryer drumsticks is largely made of almond flour, which are just finely ground almonds. These nuts contain healthy fats that help protect you from heart disease and lower cholesterol [*]. They're also packed with fiber, which boosts gut health, and vitamin E, which helps protect your body from certain forms of cancer [*].
- Cassava flour has some nutrients, too: The other part of the breading is made of cassava flour, which comes from cassava root. This root vegetable is finely ground into a powder and really helps give the drumsticks that fried chicken texture you're used to. Not to mention, cassava root also contains essential minerals like thiamine, phosphorus, calcium, and riboflavin [*].
Air Fryer Low-Carb Fried Chicken
- Yield: 5
- Serving size: 2 drumsticks
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 50 minutes
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup cassava flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a shallow dish, combine the almond flour, cassava flour, chipotle powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, basil, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- In another shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and set aside.
- Remove the drumsticks from the fridge and dip in the flour-spice mix individually. Shake off the excess.
- Dip into the egg mixture, coating all sides.
- Dip into the almond flour mixture again and press the coating into the chicken. This will help the crust stick to the chicken while it cooks.
- Place 5 drumsticks into the air fryer basket and cook for 25 minutes at 360 degrees. Halfway through, flip the drumsticks to ensure even cooking. Cook the remaining 5 drumsticks the same way.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition facts per serving:
- Fat: 36.7g
- Protein: 54.3g
- Total Carbohydrates: 16.3g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sugar Alcohol: 0g
- Net Carbs: 12.9g
- Fat: 54%
- Protein: 35%
- Carbohydrates: 11%