Avocado salsa? Isn't that just guacamole? In a way, sure—but it's kind of like the best of both dipping worlds. Think of it like guacamole with an emphasis on fresh, ripe tomatoes. Trust us, you'll love it.
This chunky avocado salsa is the perfect addition to your next potluck, party, or just a quick snack at home. It's packed with micronutrients and antioxidants, so you can feel good about it wherever you’re consuming it.
Besides the health benefits, this recipe's biggest selling point is its versatility. Those on a low-carb diet are always looking for multi-purpose foods, and this avocado salsa recipe definitely fits the bill. Use it as a dip, put it on a salad in place of dressing, or use it as a garnish for a meal (tacos, anyone?).
If you make this recipe, be sure to post a photo on Instagram and tag @fatissmartfuel!
This Recipe Uses:
- FBOMB Premium Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- Roma tomatoes
- Red onion
- Apple cider vinegar
Top Four Health Benefits of this Recipe:
Here are four things you can feel good about when making this low-carb avocado salsa recipe:
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants help remove disease-causing free radicals from the body and strengthen our immune system [*]. This recipe features several antioxidant-rich ingredients, like avocados, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- Micronutrients: This recipe is chock full of micronutrients, which are the essential vitamins and minerals found in foods that keep us healthy. For example, tomatoes contain vitamins A, C, E, folate, and potassium [*]. Each micronutrient has specific benefits (for example, potassium helps promote optimal fluid levels and nerve health), so eating a variety of different vitamin-rich foods is ideal for your health.
- Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fats: Avocados—the superfood in this recipe—are packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats [*]. Scientists used to say that "fat makes you fat," but we now know that this isn't true. In fact, studies show low-carb, high-fat diets are actually more effective for weight loss than a low-fat, high-carb diet [*]. And by the way, diets rich in monounsaturated fats also help you keep belly fat off [*].
- Fiber: This recipe has 6 grams of fiber per serving! Fiber keeps your gut healthy, and plays an important role in weight management [*]. Because high-fiber foods take longer to digest, they tend to keep you full longer, and have less of an impact on blood sugar levels [*]. For low-carb dieters, this is good news. As you'll see below, there are only 4 grams of net carbs in a serving of this avocado salsa recipe. This is because fiber helps offset the effects of carbs. In other words, you can eat a few more carbs and still stay in ketosis!
Healthy Ingredient Spotlight: Apple Cider Vinegar
We are going to assume you are aware of the many health benefits of avocado, so we are going to take a moment to focus on an ingredient you might not know as much about: apple cider vinegar (ACV).
Did you know studies show that consuming ACV daily can help you lose weight [*]? It's also anti-inflammatory, which means apple cider vinegar may help protect you from diseases like type 2 diabetes or cancer [*].
The acidity from the tomatoes and apple cider vinegar (ACV) has two other important jobs in this recipe:
- First, it gives this avocado salsa a lot of its tangy flavor that makes it addictive.
- Second, acid helps keep the avocados from browning. That way, you can hang onto it for a few days without it going bad (or looking unappetizing).
One other benefit: there are zero calories in apple cider vinegar. Look for a brand with "the mother" included in it, like Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. This means the healthy bacteria that promotes gut health hasn't been removed.
Chunky Avocado Salsa Recipe
- Yield: 8 servings
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 0 minutes
- 1 packet (2 tablespoons) FBOMB Avocado Oil
- 6-8 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño, finely diced
- 3-4 medium semi-firm avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the FBOMB Avocado Oil with the rest of the ingredients.
- Adjust seasoning if needed and serve immediately.
NOTE: It’s delicious with FBOMB Keto Krunch cheese crisps!
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Fat: 15g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbs: 10g
- Fiber: 6g
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Fat: 73%
- Protein: 4%
- Carbohydrates: 22%