Whether you’re entertaining for the holidays or planning weeknight meals for your family, this bacon-wrapped asparagus is perfect as a paleo or low-carb side or appetizer.
Savory, crunchy, and delicious, this recipe won’t disappoint on your way to finding satisfying, delicious paleo dinner options.
Serve with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and a meat dish of your choice.
Why Serve This Asparagus Side Dish
With sides like this one, you can easily stay on track with your paleo or low-carb diet while reaping some major health benefits.
Avocado oil is one of the key ingredients in this recipe. Why is avocado oil awesome?
This high-quality fat is high in lutein, a super antioxidant that’s been shown to potentially benefit your eyes and vision health [*].
There’s also evidence to suggest it may support reducing arthritis [*] and even gum disease [*].
The bacon-wrapped asparagus is also sprinkled with black pepper and turmeric. This super spice has grown in popularity in recent years thanks to research that suggests it may combat inflammation [*]. The addition of black pepper increases the bioavailability of curcumin, turmeric’s active compound [*].
The Top 3 Mouth-Watering Ingredients in this Recipe
Asparagus is delicious on its own, but this recipe takes the flavor up a notch with some simple, but delicious additions (including bacon)!
1. Keto Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise is high-fat and versatile in flavor, making it an ideal dipping sauce for a variety of savory keto dishes.
The problem with most store-bought mayonnaise is they often contain potentially inflammatory vegetable oils [*].
This homemade version swaps those out for MCT oil, which has been shown to be more beneficial to cardiovascular health than most vegetable oils [*].
Sriracha is versatile, low-carb, and packs a kick with both flavor and spice.
A chili sauce traditionally used in Thai cuisine, this vinegar-and-chili condiment has found its way into a ton of non-Asian dishes thanks to its adaptable flavor.
Here’s a hot tip: You can make a quick dipping sauce by adding a touch of spice from Sriracha or other sauces to mayo, as suggested in this recipe. But be warned— it’s incredibly addictive!
Turmeric is touted as a holy grail health food, and for good reason.
You only need a touch of this earthy spice for both a delicious taste and a real health boost to any recipe.
Here are just some of the health benefits of turmeric:
- Turmeric may help reduce inflammation in the body [*]
- It has shown potential as a treatment for liver disorders [*]
- It may also have positive effects on the gut microbiota [*]
The addition of black pepper means the curcumin in the turmeric is up to 2000% more bioavailable [*], so your body will be able to get more of the health benefits. That’s a win-win.
The asparagus is drizzled with FBOMB Avocado Oil and wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with turmeric and black pepper. They’re baked in a 400°F oven for 25-30 minutes until the asparagus is cooked and the bacon is crispy, then served with a spicy Sriracha homemade keto mayonnaise for dipping.
Why Your Diet Should Include More Asparagus
Dark green vegetables like asparagus are ideal for any paleo or keto diet, as they’re high in fiber and low in carbs. This means you can eat more of them without cutting into your daily carb allowance.
But there’s a reason asparagus should be the star of the show.
Asparagus was used in Ancient Greece and Rome to flush out the kidneys and prevent kidney stones [*], and there might just be some science to that method. Research has shown green asparagus may prevent the conversion of an enzyme called angiotensin [*], a biomarker for kidney stones [*].
And much like the turmeric in this recipe, asparagus also contains anti-inflammatory properties [*].
Bacon-Wrapped Paleo Asparagus
- Yield: 8
- Serving size: 2 pieces
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 packet (2 tablespoons) FBOMB Avocado Oil, divided
- 16 strips bacon
- 16 medium asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup keto mayonnaise, for dipping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Brush a large baking sheet with a tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Wrap one piece of bacon around each asparagus spear and place on baking sheet.
- Brush asparagus with remaining avocado oil and sprinkle with turmeric and black pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until asparagus is tender and bacon is crispy, turning the asparagus halfway through to brown evenly. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly and drain on paper towels. Serve asparagus warm with a side of the Sriracha mayonnaise.
- To make the Sriracha Mayo, mix 1-2 tablespoons of Sriracha sauce with ½ cup of homemade keto mayonnaise. You can also serve with a lemon garlic mayonnaise as another delicious dipping option (mix ½ cup keto mayonnaise with a tablespoon of lemon juice and one minced garlic clove).
Nutritional Facts Per Serving:
- Fat: 5.5g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Total Carbohydrates: 1.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Fat: 74%
- Protein: 18%
- Carbohydrates: 8%