One-pot baked casseroles are always the ultimate comfort food during the winter months. The problem is they’re usually loaded with carbs and other not-so-great ingredients that don’t fit into a low-carb or ketogenic lifestyle. This low-carb Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect comfort food solution. It is made with ground beef, FBOMB Avocado Oil, onions, garlic, and tons of vegetables, topped with buttery mashed cauliflower and cheese, then baked into a big pot of bubbly, hot deliciousness.
Cauliflower is a great substitute for potatoes in this recipe. It's lower in carbs, higher in nutrients, and full of antioxidants.
FBOMB Avocado Oil and butter are both great sources of healthy fats that help keep you full and satiated without being weighed down by heavy carbs.
If you make this recipe, please post a photo on Instagram and tag @fatissmartfuel!
This Recipe Is:
- Keto | Low-Carb | Gluten-Free
- High in protein and fiber
- A great source of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Full of satiating and healthy fats
This Recipe Uses:
- FBOMB Avocado Oil
- Ground Beef
- Tomato Paste
- Chicken Stock
- Red Pepper Flakes
Health Benefits of this Recipe:
- FBOMB Avocado Oil is a healthy fat that offers many health benefits. It is rich in oleic acid, a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid [*]. Avocado oil is known for improving heart health, and is linked to reduced cholesterol and blood pressure [*]. There are studies that show avocado oil may reduce the symptoms of joint diseases like arthritis [*] and may prevent cell damage by neutralizing free radicals [*]. Avocado oil is also a source of lutein, a carotenoid which improves eye health [*].
- Cauliflower is a great substitute for potatoes with half the calories and only a fraction of the carbs in comparison. It contains almost every vitamin and mineral people need, including vitamins B6, C, and K, folate, potassium, pantothenic acid, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus [*]. It’s also a good source of fiber, with 3 grams in a one-cup serving of raw cauliflower. A diet rich in fiber can help lower your risk for several diseases, including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes [*].It can also support weight loss efforts because it helps you feel full, which can help reduce calorie consumption [*].
- Ground beef is a great source of protein and fat, including conjugated linoleic acid. CLA is linked to weight loss, among other health benefits, such as improved metabolic health and a reduced risk of some diseases [*][*]. Beef provides many vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B6 and B12, zinc, iron, and selenium.
Cauliflower Shepherd's Pie
- Yield: 10 servings
- Serving size: ¾ cup
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, riced or cut into small florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Parmesan)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet (1 ounce) FBOMB Avocado Oil
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ¾ cup chicken or beef stock
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- To prepare the mashed cauliflower, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan or microwave oven, heat the butter and cream together until butter is melted.
- Mix in the butter/cream mixture and salt and pepper to the bowl and mash until smooth. Stir in the cheese. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of FBOMB avocado oil in a large sauté pan / oven-safe skillet over medium heat and cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Remove beef and garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside in a mixing bowl. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of FBOMB avocado oil and add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and thyme sprigs. Season vegetables with salt and pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until veggies are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef back into the pan and stir in the tomato paste, cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the almond flour over the mixture and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth one ladle at a time and continue to cook, stirring for a few more minutes, until the liquid has thickened. Remove the thyme and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the casserole by topping the meat mixture with dollops of the mashed cauliflower, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon to create a swirled pattern. Drizzle additional dots of butter on top, if desired.
- Transfer to the oven and set a foil-lined baking sheet underneath. Bake for 30 minutes, then broil until the top is golden brown and bubbly, 2-3 minutes.
- Let the casserole stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Fat: 24g
- Protein: 22g
- Total Carbohydrates: 7.5g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Net Carbs: 6g
- Fat: 65%
- Protein: 26%
- Carbohydrates: 9%