Looking for a simple, flavorful one-dish casserole that’ll fit your low-carb diet? Then this recipe has you covered.
This low-carb cheesy chicken broccoli casserole combines the three essential macronutrients your body needs: protein (chicken thighs), healthy fats (olive oil, cheese, chicken thighs), and a small number of carbs (broccoli) into a meal you can serve and reheat for days (assuming there are leftovers!).
If you’ve been on a low-carb or keto diet for a while, you might already know the benefits of many of the foods that make up this recipe. Chicken, broccoli, and vegetables are all pretty standard.
But you might not know what flaxseed meal can do for your health, or even that it fits on a low-carb diet. We’ll explain how in a moment.
To top it all off (literally), we use pork rinds that add no additional carbs while providing a nice crunchy texture. This low-carb casserole recipe really does have it all, and we’re excited to share it with you!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe:
- Chicken thighs
- FBOMB Olive Oil
- Flaxseed meal
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Pork rinds
Top 4 Health Benefits Of This Recipe:
Heart-healthy, vitamin-packed, and with the right macronutrients to fit your goals, here are 4 awesome health benefits of this low-carb cheesy chicken broccoli casserole:
- Chicken thighs are the perfect low-carb, high-fat protein: Although not as popular as chicken breast, there’s a lot to like about chicken thighs if you’re on a keto diet. They’re recommended on keto because of their higher fat content compared to breast meat; 53% of the calories comes from protein, and 47% comes from fat [*]. Too much protein without enough fat can cause your body to convert that protein into glucose, which can prevent you from achieving ketosis or knock you out of ketosis [*].
- Olive oil is heart-healthy: The plethora of antioxidants and fatty acids found in olive oil can do a lot of good for your body. Studies show people who consume olive oil lower their risk of heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes, among other ailments [*][*].The olive oil in this recipe helps make the chicken and broccoli flavorful before you pull the casserole together with cheese and flaxseed. (Plus, FBOMB Olive Oil is made with only the highest quality product, so you’re getting all the best nutrients.)
- Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse: In terms of veggies on a low-carb diet, you can’t do much better than broccoli. Part of the cruciferous vegetable family, broccoli is packed with vitamins E, C, and K, minerals like zinc and iron, and lots of fiber to boot [*]. The high amount of fiber and low number of carbs means this veggie has only about 3 grams of carbs per serving—perfect for a keto or low-carb diet [*].
- Flaxseed doesn’t just make this a casserole: Flaxseed helps bring the cheese, chicken, and broccoli together in this recipe, plus offers its own unique health benefits, too. Like olive oil, it contains many heart-healthy unsaturated fats that may help reduce your risk of heart disease [*]. Flaxseed also contains antioxidants, which helps neutralize free radical cells in the body, and fiber, which keeps the millions of tiny bacteria in your gut happy and well-fed [*][*].
Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- Serving size: 1 piece
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 50-70 minutes
- 1 pound chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 2 packets (4 tablespoons) FBOMB Olive Oil
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of hot sauce
- 1 ounce pork rinds, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the chicken on a baking sheet along with the broccoli. Toss the chicken and broccoli in the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the chicken is cooked all the way through with an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Chop the chicken into small chunks or shred it with two forks and put it into a large bowl.
- Rough chop the broccoli into smaller pieces and add it to the bowl with the chicken.
- Add flaxseed meal, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream, 1½ cups of cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and hot sauce to the bowl. Mix together thoroughly.
- Pour the casserole mixture into a sprayed/greased casserole pan and top with remaining 1½ cups of cheese and crushed pork rinds.
- Bake uncovered 20-30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown on top.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Fat: 34g
- Protein: 16g
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar Alcohol: 0g
- Net Carbohydrates: 3.5g
- Fat: 78%
- Protein: 16%
- Carbohydrates: 6%