If you’ve spent any time on social media lately, then you’ve probably heard of Dalgona Coffee. It has emerged as one of the biggest global trends in recent weeks after going viral on the social media platform TikTok. It’s no wonder it has exploded in popularity. It’s really easy to make plus it's delicious!
What is Dalgona Coffee?
The basic recipe requires equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and hot water to be blended together until it’s creamy and foamy. Then it’s served over milk. It can be enjoyed hot or cold.
How can Dalgona Coffee be made low-carb?
We tweaked the recipe to make it low carb for those of us who avoid sugar as part of a healthier lifestyle. Instead of sugar, we use monk fruit sweetener, a natural sugar-free substitute. Instead of serving it over milk, we use unsweetened almond milk. The result is a delicious creamy, frothy coffee beverage unlike any other you’ve ever had. It’s quite an experience!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Instant coffee
- Monk fruit sweetener
- Hot water
- Almond milk
The process is pretty simple. First, you combine the instant coffee, monk fruit sweetener, and hot water in a large bowl.
Then, use an electric hand mixer to blend the ingredients until it froths up like this. Notice that the color of the mixture gets lighter as you whip air into it.
The final step is to pour the dalgona coffee mixture over almond milk. The almond milk can be cold or hot.
- Yield: 2 servings
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Prep time: 5-15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (must be instant coffee)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons monk fruit sweetener
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- In a large bowl, combine the instant coffee, hot water, and monk fruit sweetener.
- Using a whisk or an electric hand mixer, whisk together the ingredients until stiff peaks form.
- It will take about 10-12 minutes if you’re hand whisking and 3-4 minutes if you’re using an electric hand mixer.
- Pour over almond milk.
- Stir together the foam with your almond milk and enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving:
- Fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 0g
- Total Carbohydrates: 0.25g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar Alcohol: 0g
- Net Carbohydrates: 0.25g
- Fat: 69%
- Protein: 0%
- Carbohydrates: 31%