There’s no denying it…
Holiday cookies are delicious.
But traditional recipes are not exactly nutritious. They are full of simple carbohydrates and sugars.
We’ve developed a paleo ginger snap cookie recipe that skips the gluten and molasses in favor of a natural ingredient profile that fits within your ancestral diet.
If you make this recipe, post a photo on Instagram and tag @fatissmartfuel!
Which Paleo Sweetener Should You Use?
Obviously, traditional sugar (such as brown or white) is not paleo-friendly.
It's a highly processed sugar derived from sugarcane, and our ancestors would not have had access to this sweet substance.
There are different paleo sweeteners that can be used, including:
- Maple syrup
- Monk fruit
You can also use dates, natural applesauce, or mashed banana to sweeten a recipe naturally. However, these also come with fiber that can change the consistency of your recipe, and ginger snaps are all about texture.
So, to achieve the chewy, delicious texture of a traditional ginger snap cookie without the unnatural (or unhealthy) ingredients, we recommend replacing the molasses with honey.
You can feel free to swap out the flour or sweetener in this paleo ginger snap cookie recipe, just note that the flavor or texture may vary.
We use almond flour because it’s versatile, has a more neutral flavor and most people have it in their pantry already. However, you can swap out the almond for coconut or cassava flour if you prefer.
We used honey to provide the chewy, decadent texture of traditional ginger snap cookies, but if you don’t have honey or are sticking with a plant-based diet, you can use maple syrup.
The recipe uses macadamia nut oil instead of melted butter to make it paleo, but also to provide a nutty, delicious flavor and boost the nutrition of the recipe even more. You can swap it out for ¼ cup of ghee or butter, or use coconut oil if you like the coconut flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ cup raw honey
- 3 tablespoons FBOMB Macadamia Oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In a separate, medium-sized bowl, mix the wet ingredients (honey, oil, egg, and vanilla extract) together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large bowl.
- Blend with a hand mixer at low speed until fully combined and a stiff crumbly batter is formed.
- Measure out each cookie with a tablespoon and flatten out into a round cookie shape by hand or fork.
- Lay evenly on a sprayed sheet pan/cookie sheet in 6 rows of 4 cookies each.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned, rotating the pan halfway through.
Nutrition Facts Per Cookie:
- Fat: 6.5g
- Protein: 1.25g
- Total Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Net carbs: 9.5g
- Fat: 55%
- Protein: 5%
- Carbohydrates: 40%