As far as fall vegetables go, carrots are one of the top foods that come to mind.
With a distinct, sweet, earthy flavor, and a hearty quality that instantly turns every dish they’re in into comfort food, carrots are a winner, and this recipe is no exception.
These paleo roasted carrots are oven-baked to perfection, then coated in a butter-maple syrup glaze for a delicious, nutritious side dish.
Serve at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday meal… or just enjoy as a weeknight side dish.
The Health Benefits of Carrots
Carrots are usually avoided on popular diets because they’re high in sugars and carbs relative to other vegetables.
While they probably shouldn’t be your main vegetable source, there’s no reason to avoid them all of the time. They are a great source of many vitamins and minerals that can make the additional sugars worthwhile in moderation.
For example, just one serving of carrots contains over 110% of your recommended daily intake (RDI) of Vitamin A[*]. While that’s about half as much as the same amount of butternut squash, that’s still great news for eye health[*].
1 cup of carrots also contains:
- Biotin: 20% RDI
- Vitamin K: 18% RDI
- Molybdenum: 14% RDI
- Vitamin B6: 10% RDI
- Vitamin C: 10% RDI
There’s no reason to avoid enjoying a serving of carrots now and then!
This paleo carrot recipe is roasted in quality oils, spices, and balsamic vinegar to provide a flavorful, fat-fueled side dish for your weeknight or holiday meal.
- 1 pound multi-colored carrots, sliced thinly*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the ingredients from the carrots through the fresh thyme thoroughly in a bowl (save the melted butter, sugar-free maple syrup, and parsley for later). Spread the carrots evenly onto a sprayed/greased sheet pan.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan and roast for another 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown and cooked to desired tenderness.
- While carrots are roasting, combine the melted butter, sugar-free maple syrup, and chopped parsley in a bowl.
- Toss the carrots with the sauce just before serving.
Cook Time: 20 minutes